Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The New Hotness

It may shock you to learn that I do not believe fully in the 'paranormal'. I don't believe ghosts exist as entities unto themselves. I don't believe that there is an afterlife. I don't believe in God or gods or what have you. What I do believe in is science. And science has afforded us amazing new insights into how and why we experience the odd things that we experience every day. A growing understanding of magnetic fields, light, and how they manipulate our senses has dispelled a lot of the clearly bullshit urban legends that have tormented people for so many years.

It's very sad in a lot of ways. In other ways, it's incredibly exciting. Think about it: We're human beings. We'll never not find a way to scare the bejeesus out of ourselves. It's just what we do. These advancements in understanding are only serving to evolve our legends and myths. Nothing is being lost in this exchange. The old things, the vampires and zombies and ghosts in the mirror will continue to scare us. Now we also get to be afraid of things like immortality, manipulation, brainwashing and ghosts in the machine. I'm excited to see how our culture will continue to adapt to our new knowledge.

I realize that this is a lame post. More Abandoned Places are coming tomorrow and in future updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment