Monday, April 16, 2012

Dyatlov Pass

This is a pretty classic story that has been circled around the internet many times. It's the account of how a group of skiers in Russia disappeared and then were found with bizarre circumstances surrounding their deaths. Gruesome details aside, there are a number of plausible solutions for the 'mystery' that I won't go into here. It's been pretty thoroughly debunked over the last fifty years but the events leading up to the hikers' deaths are still fascinating.

There is a link to the Wikipedia article on this after the break.





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

Yeah, I know that it's a Wikipedia link. Unfortunately the only sites I could find with this information on them were grossly inaccurate in their facts or obviously slanted towards a conspiracy theory. That's not really my style; I prefer to present facts or things that are obviously meant to be fiction. 

2 comments:

  1. You should check out Brian Dunning's Skeptoid article about this incident, he has some fairly logical theories about it.

    Still really strange though, whatever happened...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read his article, it's a very good one! I think that if the Russian government had released all of the facts concerning the case this really would never have been a mystery in the first place.

    ReplyDelete