Tuesday, April 17, 2012

X-COM

http://www.xcomufo.com/

I know that this isn't exactly paranormal but I enjoy the crap out of this game so I shall indulge myself just this once.

I'll start with a caveat: this game is old and graphically of date. Running it on new systems is not an exact science, and DOSBOX (if you choose to use it) has a bit of a learning curve.

That being said, this game has become a classic for a good reason. It spawn a handful of sequels: X-COM: UFO Defense, X-COM: Terror from the Deep, X-COM: Apocalypse, X:COM Interceptor, X-COM: First Alien Invasion, and X-COM: Enforcer. There is also an upcoming game entitled, "XCOM: Enemy Unknown", but I'm reserving judgement until I actually get to see that one in action. All of these games are pinned on the idea of an alien invasion. As a crack team of operatives recruited from all around the world, it's your job to set up camp and take down the alien scum with extreme prejudice.

The X-COM games are exemplary top-down strategy games. I won't go into a full review here, but I will say that if you take the time to understand the rules and objectives you will find yourself starting over time and again to see how efficiently you can take on the alien menace. So no, not a review, but I will tell you why I'm posting this game on a 'paranormal' blog. There are moments in this game that, with a generous helping of disbelief suspension, can be a little unnerving. I won't spoil it for you but some of the better ones involve brain powered robots and alien autopsies. That, coupled with the paranoia of a possible attack at any moment anywhere in the globe or even a full scale invasion of your own bases, can be a thoroughly enjoyable time.

I guess alien invasion simulations are sort of paranormal after all, now that I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment